By Ryan K. Balot
- Offers a wide survey of historical political proposal from Archaic Greece via overdue Antiquity
- Approaches historic political philosophy from either a normative and historic focus
- Examines Greek and Roman political proposal inside of ancient context and modern debate
- Explores the function of historical political inspiration in a number of philosophies, equivalent to the person and neighborhood, human rights, faith, and cosmopolitanism
Read or Download A Companion to Greek and Roman Political Thought (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best political philosophy books
The Making of recent Liberalism is a deep and wide-ranging exploration of the origins and nature of liberalism from the Enlightenment via its triumphs and setbacks within the 20th century and past. The publication is the fruit of the greater than 4 many years within which Alan Ryan, one of many world's major political thinkers, mirrored at the previous of the liberal tradition—and nervous approximately its destiny.
There are enormously divergent modes of considering and broadly differing difficulties subsumed as belonging to the area of eontemporary philosophy. a few philosophers may possibly weil locate that they've little extra in eommon with their coileagues than their curiosity in exposing an issue at the point of concept, systematically, and with the optimal regard for the validity in their argumentation.
Francis Bacon, lengthy thought of a minor determine within the founding of recent political suggestion, is now famous as considered one of its most well known thinkers. Bacon not just championed a brand new style and approach to clinical inquiry, he additionally built a plan for a way glossy society might be re-ordered to deal with and advertise medical growth.
Distinctive ethnomusicologist Philip V. Bohlman compiles Johann Gottfried Herder’s writings on track and nationalism, from his early volumes of Volkslieder via sacred tune to the essays on aesthetics overdue in his lifestyles, shaping them because the publication on song that Herder might have written had he amassed the various strands of his musical notion right into a unmarried e-book.
- England after the Great Recession: Tracking the Political and Cultural Consequences of the Crisis
- Immunitas: The Protection and Negation of Life
- The Prince (Hackett Classics)
- Hegel's Ethics of Recognition
- Against Politics: On Government, Anarchy and Order (Routledge Studies in Social and Political Thought)
Additional resources for A Companion to Greek and Roman Political Thought (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Greek and Roman Political Thought (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Ryan K. Balot